Thursday, November 10, 2011

Better TV Watchers

My latest and greatest favorite show is Bade Acche Lagte Hain ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bade_Achhe_Lagte_Hain ). I just love this show on Sony channel. I started watching it when I was in India and was hooked right from the word go. This show is such a welcome change from the run of the mill Saas Bahu shows that abound Indian television. Its a story about a couple with extremely opposite personalities and how they end up marrying. Their married life is quite interesting I must say and can't wait till I bring myself up to speed with all the episodes on YouTube that I missed last month. I am addicted to it and honestly I feel I should put a tap on my addiction.

Now, I totally understand how hard it is for children not to watch their favorite cartoons/princess movies etc.  Whenever I realize that they have been watching TV for way too long, and despite my warning they would not budge,

I just turn the TV off in the midst of their wailing and crying. Oh I have been such a bad Mom. But my excuse is that its for their good. Too much TV can never be good for any kid or a Mommy for that matter. If my Mom was here and if she would turn the TV off when I'm watching Bade Acche Lagte Hain, it would ruin my entire day. I would be sad, mad and totally dejected.

So, my lesson from all this is that TV is addictive and it affects young or old alike. I should set a limit for myself and for my kids. I should let my kids know in advance how many shows they can watch and for how long. When they have a set limit, they will know what to expect. It might still be hard for my 3 yr old. There is no time concept in his system yet. For him 5 more minutes is the same as 5 more shows. My best defense for him is distraction. It works almost all the time. By setting limits for myself and my kids, hopefully, we will be better TV watchers.

No comments: